Saturday, September 13, 2008

Risk

I'm taking a break to start my blog entry. We're watching a movie about the life and rise of fashion designer, Coco Chanel.

Did you know her name was Gabrielle? She obtained her nickname "Coco" from a little French song. Of course this being a movie, it is hard to know where artistic license has been taken and reality collide. However, that part had a rather authentic ring to it. Maybe I'll research it later. I love researching subjects that entice and intrigue me.

One thing they are focusing on at present is the aspect of the free-spiritedness she possessed - of being unwilling to be a mere ornament fashioned of the same fabric as the rest of society. There is a line in her latter years that resonates in my soul - strength is not built by ones successes but by ones failures. How true that is.

She leaves comfort to pursue her dreams. She is unwilling to decline risk even after she is highly successful. In fact, one of her statements is "risk is what life is all about". Even in her 70's she continued to risk obsolesence because she still retained a vision.

I wish I could be more like that. At one time in my life I was a similar free-spirit - uncontained and untamed. Now I seem to do what is expected because I have responsibilities. Don't get me wrong, recognizing and living up to ones responsibilities is very important - something our society would do better to remember more often. But there is a part of me that desires to take a risk to do something more.

And in time I just may do so.

No comments: