Thursday, September 11, 2008

It's About Commitment

You know tonight was interesting.

Yes, another critique group meeting. Only thing about it - we didn't have any submissions to critique. Typically in the past that meant we were going to put off meeting until the following regularly scheduled time.

Tonight we decided to meet anyway.

Gary and Tonya just returned from a trip to Montana. Heck, they snuck across the border into Wyoming, those rascally scaliwags. Someone call the Wyoming State Police!

Then we talked about Julie's secret invitation and upcoming trip to an Indian ceremonial preserve in South Dakota. Sounds mysterious. Maybe she'll have a chance to hear the sounds of the breaking of small animal bones on the drive. Sorry - inside joke.

We discussed our writing, or lack thereof, publishing opportunities, an upcoming meeting with an agent next weekend, and contest results. There were a few current job comments thrown about. There was even a discussion that popped up about a local strip club owner.

Don't ask.

Then we started talking about columns and blogging. Blogging takes commitment, a staying kind of attitude. It isn't for everyone. I must admit, there are times when I sit down to write and have no clue what I'm going to mention. Then my son will say something off the wall, my mom will call, or I'll see a news article that gets my blood pumping.

Speaking of news articles, I'm actually excited about the upcoming election - but that's another story.

Blogging helps me have a purpose in my writing. Gee, it's about the only fun writing I'm doing right now, so there's no way I can stop. It's obvious I have no life right now anyway.

I think tonight proved that. Nah, it just proves that instead of a bunch of people meeting to talk about writing, we've become something more.

Friendship - how cool is that?

No comments: