Thursday, February 12, 2009

Exploring My Town

My life is becoming one big blur of boring frustration.

Still don't have a job yet at the end of another week. Gotta figure something out to get my resume noticed in the right way by the right people.

But I'm having fun in other ways. After dropping my son at school every morning, I've been driving around town looking for the houses I've seen online. Mom and Dad might come up next weekend so we can start perusing the potential rental homes.

I've discovered areas of town I didn't know existed! There's so many streets I've never driven down in our almost fifteen years of living here. There's some streets in the original part at the heart of our little town that aren't even paved after all these years, and most of them dead-end. Those are homes established near the turn of the century. Some have been completely refurbished.

Some haven't. But alot of them have potential and incredibly huge lots on which they sit.

The other morning I came across a lovely two-story property, very old and run-down, but a great heavy wood double-door entrance. As I drove past it, I noticed these old steepled stained-glass windows (some of the stained glass was missing). It was then that I realized the reason that street was called "Church Street".

It was probably one of the original churches to my little community (that isn't so little anymore). I want to buy it and live there!!!!

I could just imagine the creeking old plank wooden floors. Probably had a loft/balcony area too. I wonder what denomination it'd been in it's hey-day. It was pretty big, considering the smallness of the town back then. Maybe the only church from that era serving the community - who knows?

I even came across another older area of homes, but imagine this was snob hill back then. The homes were a little bigger down a very narrow but since paved street that had no outlet.

Found some great properties that have been refurbished that would make some great rental homes. But now I'm just plain curious. I'm thinking I might just have to do a little investigating about the history of my once little town.

Before it's too late.

2 comments:

Brian Johnson said...

That could be an interesting place to live. Then you would have to open Denise's Restaurant and have Arlo Guthrie sing about it.

Bree and I almost looked at a church in pratt while I was living up there. Needless to say, it needed some "ahem" remodeling.

Denise said...

WHAT???????

Now that's an interesting thought.