Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Object of Desire

Well I ended up not getting any writing done today.

Ended up spending a little time with my salon friend. She's getting the remake completed and really wants to work with me on marketing and employee development. Met her new business partner, who is really sweet and a people person.

I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do for them.

Also spent time this afternoon working on finding a real estate agent and looking up property tax information on some homes we're going to be perusing. My parents are coming back up next weekend and we're going to do a few run-throughs on about eight to ten houses in the area.

It's going to be alot of fun for me, probably a little stressful for my dad. But I think he'll like the agent I found. My dad is no-nonsense when he's considering property. He's not interested in salesmanship, just someone who can let him look and give him time to make decisions then wrap up the details with a nice bow at closing.

He's going to be impressed with this agent. I had a wonderful conversation with him this evening and think he'll be just the perfect match.

You know, it's so nice being needed and wanted.

This job prospecting has been rather frustrating. Since the industry is so depressed at the moment, there's almost no activity happening in my area of specialty. But I'm a quick study and can always take my specialty and translate it into something else.

I think the other problem is that the finance industry probably doesn't want to pay the salary I previously earned. It's not the salary I want, it's the opportunity! I'm more than willing to take a cut just to get in the door and show someone the value I can bring to their organization.

However, I do not want to get back into the big corporate lifestyle, but I do want to work. Which is why this freelancing stuff just might be my ticket. I've even got an online publication that wants me to write articles for small businesses. Little money, but good publicity potential, eh? Hard work getting things off the ground, but hey! I'm a single mother.

Hard work is my middle name. It isn't for cowards either. Neither is freelancing.

Which is why I might make it.

2 comments:

Pamela J Pierce, RDN, LD said...

Your title had me wondering what was going on :o) It sounds like you have a lot of irons in the fire. I hope one or more if you have the time pans out for you. I am still praying for you.

Denise said...

You know, I'm just throwing out several things I think I'd really enjoy to see what might stick. It's opportunity time!