Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Method To My Madness

Well this week is pre-enrollment for next year. My son and I have spent a great deal of time reviewing class requirements and fun electives as he continues to push toward high school graduation.

So hard to believe we'll be there in two short years.

These previous two years I specifically made him take some courses that are required for graduation, but that he could take anytime during his four years of high school.

At first he didn't understand why I was requiring him to get those classes out of the way so quickly during his freshman and sophomore years. Now that we're gearing up for his junior year, he sees the validity of my thinking.

See, there is method to my madness.

In a few short months he will have satisfied all of the graduation required credits like speech, computer, social sciences, etc., leaving him with nearly complete freedom to choose classes to fill his remaining years. All he has to do is just take another English requirement, a math requirement, and U.S. History.

The rest will be just for fun.

So he's planning to take a special invitation-only music class, take theatre, a technology class, drawing, web design. Oh, and he decided that he'd go ahead and get Principles of Economics out of the way.

Not a graduation requirement - a mom requirement.

Far too few people these days understand even the most basic economic principles. My son won't be one of them. Heck, at this point he could almost teach the class based upon what he's learned here at home.

Then his senior year he can have some fun and also take some dual credit classes for college credit. The way we've figured it, once he finishes high school he'll have already obtained an entire semester of college credits.

With the Europe trip coming up, he'll also be eligible for college credit there too. This way he'll be well ahead of the game and at a discount for dear old mom.

Showing, once again, that there's always method to my madness. It just takes awhile to see it sometimes. But I think the light is beginning to dawn for my son, and he's liking what he sees.

No comments: