Monday, February 16, 2009

"New In Town"

It's been awhile since I've done a movie review, so I think I'll pop one in tonight.

A dear friend of mine took me to the movies today since we were both off work (me, duh - she, holiday). She knew I'd wanted to see "New In Town" and so treated me to it.

We had a great time!

Yes, the story is a bit predictable. Yes, it is a bit formulaic. But it was such a fun ride to get there that you just sit back, relax, and enjoy watching it unfold.

Lucy is a big-wig, fast-track, stiletto-wearing executive from Miami who is sent to oversee the layoff and closure of a dairy production facility in New Ulm, Minnesota. Definite fish-out-of-water story.

Literally.

The plant and townfolk decide to win her over with their small-town charm and sharing of secret desserts. She may have a plan, but so do they.

And they pull out all their Minnesota stops to save their jobs. Including setting her up with Ted, the regional union rep.

Laugh out loud moments. Sweet but definitely not sophisticated. Only a few mildly crude moments, but for the most part a winning cast and story no matter what the jaded critics say. It's a small town with Christian roots and they make no bones about it. Not in your face but rather quaint in its realism.

The ending isn't surprising but still quite satisfying. For a February romp, it was a surprisingly good story.

Can't say the same for the previews. Felt sorry for some of the younger tykes in the audience.

But that's one movie I won't be seeing.

"New In Town" has my thumbs up for a heartwarming break from the chill of February.

No comments: