Thursday, November 6, 2008

Blessing in the Midst of Tragedy

There's been a terrible tragedy in our neighborhood.

Our neighbors three houses east of us lost their home in a fire this evening. The firemen think it had something to do with the wiring in their jacuzzi, which was sitting on the deck right next to their house. Happened about 4:30 today.

It was a complete loss.

When I drove in about six o'clock this evening, my street was packed with firetrucks, paramedics, and other vehicles that couldn't get through. The flashing lights scared me half to death when I rounded the corner. By that time the fire was already out, but they were staying put for a few more hours to ensure there were no additional flareups.

Thank God no one was hurt or even home when it happened. They didn't have any pets to worry about either.

Made me wonder about my son. I would always consider myself blessed as long as we escaped safely from tragedy. Around here tornadoes are a serious annual threat, and I've always told my son that our lives were what was important. Even though I'd be sad about my kitties and probably terribly distraught over the circumstances for a time, I learned not so long ago that the important thing was that my son and I would be safe.

Tonight makes me once again realize how quickly things can change in regard to our material circumstances. My neighbors have family they're staying with tonight. They're rightfully upset over the loss of their home and possessions. But they also know that the most important thing is that their lives were spared.

And they realize that is the blessing in the midst of their tragedy.

No comments: