Sunday, November 2, 2008

HSM 3 - A Brief Review


All my life I've loved musicals. Can't get enough of the oldies (one of my favorites is "White Christmas") with all the music, dancing, and show-stopping numbers. Of course they are all usually story lite, but they never were so much about the stories as they were about the music.

So now I have to admit something - I just love the High School Musical shows! Since I've been stuck at home sick most of the week, decided this afternoon that we'd take HSM 3 in (there was NO WAY I was going to try to see it opening weekend with all the tween girls screaming for a view of Troy and Chad). Once again, the musical numbers were outstanding.

Of the three, however, this one was definitely the lightest one in regard to the storyline. There were more songs and dance numbers galore. Yes, the story was about moving on with life, making choices, and following your dreams, but I gotta admit I missed more of the Sharpay focus on being the bad girl. They had a chance to pull away a bit from the Troy and Gabriella storyline and take in a broader scope, but they didn't take advantage of it. Little bit disappointing.

I do have to admit, I thought they used Ms. Darbus (sp?) very well in this one. There's a very poignant scene (I've noticed alot of those lately) where Troy opens up to her about his doubts about what choice to make and direction to take with his college focus. Some of her remarks were very much right on. She talked to him about this being the time to take the opportunity to explore and pursue those unexpected areas. Ten years down the road may be too late when life grabs ahold and drags one along.

My favorite song (and my son's too) was the scene where Troy and Chad reminisce about playing super heros at the auto junkyard when they were kids - "The Boys Are Back". Great percussian. Carried the beat. There was a cute little "aw" moment when Troy and Chad roll under a truck and come out the other side. I won't spoil it for you, but parents will absolutely love it. Completely adorable.

Just remember to stay into the credits. There are some great bloopers. I hope they have more on the DVD when it comes out.

No comments: