Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Nail Polish Salute

I'm feeling all girlie-girl tonight.

For part of my costume for my character in the play, I decided to buy some red nail polish. Since it's been so many years since I've even worn nail polish, figured I could use a little bit of practice putting it on. So I played dress-up tonight. :-)

It's amazing what pretty nails can do for a girl's outlook on life. Problem is I haven't taken good care of my nails for so long that they look ridiculous and the polish just emphasizes their misshapen characteristics. The thought always seemed like an unnecessary expense before. Now I wonder.

I have nails that are overly long, nails that have broken down to the quick, and just plain nasty nails that curl either over the tip of my finger or one side curls down while the other continues growing straight.

Yes, I have very strange nails. Each nail must have captured separate DNA from my ancestors all the way back to the time of Christ.

Wish all my nails were like the ring finger on my left hand. That's the only truly pretty nail I possess. The audience won't be able to see the oddities that are my fingernails, this I know. Gee, they probably won't even be able to tell I have polish on. For that matter, they won't even know I have nails!

Now I'm beginning to question why I even thought nail polish was going to be an important accessory for my 1940's character.

The fumes must be getting to me.

2 comments:

Pamela J Pierce, RDN, LD said...

Ok, I see manicures and pedicures in our Thanksgiving plans. Angie is so good at it and I have used her pedicure tips on myself and others. You just keep that nail polish and we will get you all spiffied up. :o)

Denise said...

Oh boy!