Monday, March 23, 2009

Finding the Passion

Spring break is now sprung.

Yes, my son and I returned safely home Saturday night and he returned safely to school this morning.

They're getting ready for their Memphis trip and festival contest. Then it's regionals and state competition. This year they have enough guys in the various choirs at school that they are able to participate in state large group competition for the men's category. It was great hearing an entire choir of guys at their last concert!

My son also has two solos he's been preparing for competition and regionals. Really hope he does well and is able to make it to state as a soloist. He's been really busy.

Won't believe this, but he also tried out Sunday afternoon for the worship team at our church. We have two different types of services - classic service, which is where I sing with the choir and praise teams, then contemporary service where my son currently attends. Contemporary has a worship leader and then alternating worship teams that lead music.

I wasn't sure if they'd let him try out since he's only sixteen but they had him sing a little bit, practice some of the harmony part and then sing with one of the ladies. Don't know if he'll get it or not, but that doesn't really matter so much to me.

I'm just so proud of him for taking courage and trying out. It's really been such a great year for him and I hope it continues to be so. He's really stretching himself and exploring his gifts. I'd love to see him find a way to utilize his passion as his source of income someday.

It's something I wish I'd have figured out a little sooner. I just didn't know which way to turn when I was younger, as I was really good at several different things. Would have been nice to have had someone help guide me in that regard.

Which is one reason why I'm really trying to pay attention to what he'd like to do and surround him with opportunities to get out there and just do it.

Next stop - Memphis.

But Europe is coming.

No comments: