Monday, March 9, 2009

Soldier Shout-out

Today I had to take the car in for an oil change and service. Since I need transportation it's money that must be spent. It wasn't supposed to take very long so I decided to start reading a book I borrowed from a friend - "Band of Brothers" by Stephen E. Ambrose.

I'm only about fifty-five pages into it but can already tell that I'm really going to enjoy this book. It's like looking at World War II from the inside - well, I guess it really is an inside look through the eyes of Easy Company.

There was apparently an HBO miniseries created from this book but not sure if I will watch it. War movies are not my favorite fare, what with the obviously gruesome content that surely awaits in their battles. I realize blood and guts are an unfortunate part of battle, but I just don't want to fill my mind with the actual images.

Believe me - I have a vivid enough imagination to understand what is to come just from reading. The fact that this represents very real events and very real people makes it too important to try and trivialize by watching it mindlessly on a screen.

So when I'm finished with the book I will possible discuss some of what I read in a review. Already my respect for these soldiers is swelling. No telling what it will be like by the time I'm done.

God bless our soldiers - each and every one.

1 comment:

Pamela J Pierce, RDN, LD said...

We have the miniseries on DVD. We can watch when you are here.