Saturday, March 7, 2009

Phantom Phascination


My son is a rabid "Phantom" fan.

This week he asked me to order him the soundtrack from the movie that came out a few years ago. Don't know why we didn't get it in the first place. He's also been looking at the track version of the songs. A bit pricey, but since he was paying he wanted to go ahead and order that too.

So we did. Next year he's going to be in theatre and wants to work on the drama instructor to see if he can talk her into doing "Phantom of the Opera" his senior year.

He wants to play the masterful yet troubled phantom.

Then this summer in Europe they are seeing the London Theatre's production of "Phantom".

I can understand his obsession. Ever since I can remember, I've loved the story, the music, the passion.

Many years ago they came out with a television version (non-musical/opera) that was okay, but without the musical components it was rather bland.

I watched it anyway. :-)

Since my son was away at a forensics tournament last night we decided to have our movie and pizza tonight. You'll never guess what we watched.

You got it - "Phantom of the Opera". I never really get tired of it either.

But something was different tonight. The music always captures me and carries me away with it. However, watching it tonight I was so much more engaged with the story than I've ever been before.

I cried!

Tonight I saw through the music. I saw the depth of the story, the depth of the torment, the anguish, and ultimately the love the phantom showed Christine when he let her go and released her to love someone else.

Not sure yet why it touched me so. Wish it wasn't time change weekend so that I could stay up and explore this. Maybe it has a little bit to do with how my son relates so much to the phantom, all the hurts and pain of the past weighing him down and how he finally releases it.

Perhaps we can have a conversation about it. Perhaps I'm reading more into it than there truly is.

I have a tendency to do that, you know.

In the meantime, I will be thankful for allowing it to touch me in the manner it did tonight. Music always reaches me where nothing else can.

But tonight it was the story. Go figure.

No comments: