Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Flowers and Phantoms

With spring on the horizon, I've been dreaming of flowers.

That's right - it's just about time for the annual spring planting of the annuals (tee-hee). Of course, this year it will be trimmed down some.

Even though I'll need to be careful about spending money at the moment, I've got to do a little bit of floral gardening and getting my hands in the dirt. Gardening is what keeps me sane (and outdoors). I may need to take about $100 from savings to just start one little garden plot.

Last year I'd planned to create a couple of neat gardens around our new house come spring. But then there was the big and unexpected Europe trip opportunity for my son and all funds needed to be on deck for that. The trip is paid for and the uniform is purchased, along with the London Theatre ticket to see Phantom of the Opera.

Now I find myself unemployed.

It won't take much money for me to get a small plot prepared and planted with a few choice items. Just does so much for my soul that the bit of cash will be worth every cent expended. Maybe I should invest in a few perennials instead of annuals to make the money worthwhile for the future.

There's just something so soothing about connecting with God's green earth. Life may feel chaotic, but the richness of the soil draws peace from chaos like sucking poison from a wound. Plus there is the satisfaction of the hard work put into it when the garden explodes in color. I can get alot of mileage for the mind from a few moments digging around in the ground.

Yep - gonna have to plant me a flower garden this year.

No comments: