Thursday, March 5, 2009

What a Happy, Happy Day

It's been a very nice day.

And I'm not talking just about the weather.

Received an email from the real estate agent about a property that had another contract on it and was supposed to close by now. I was very disappointed that a contract was written up before I'd had a chance to see inside the property and show it to my dad. Really seemed like it would be a really cute rent house.

The huge lot wasn't bad either. Great feature for a young family with kids.

So yesterday I received the email from him that the financing had fallen through for the buyers and the contract likely wasn't going anywhere. Therefore he'd been given the thumbs up to show the house. Went to see it this afternoon.

Just as I thought - great rent home potential.

Made a ton of notes, really inspected the property inside and out, and saw only a few minor things that needed to be dealt with. Piece of cake! Emailed my parents all the data and made a recommendation to them about making an offer.

Plus the weather was extremely nice for getting out and seeing the property. Great excuse to get me away from the computer.

Then my son came home from school and puttered away to his best buddy's house for the rest of the afternoon. Called a few hours ago and made plans to spend the night over at his house. Yippee! A whole evening all to myself.

So I made good use of the time. Periodically I go through periods where I like to write song lyrics. Need to get a refresher on music theory and peck out the tune on the piano if I want to finish, but it felt good to just do some writing. Song lyrics really come up from the deep when I'm in the mood.

Earlier that evening, I decided to get out and just go down to the city park and relax, take in the fresh air, enjoy the sunset, and checkout the budding trees.

That's what got me thinking of a song.

Several years ago I was going gang-busters in my music. Then life happened and I had to step back to devote time to restoration of mine and my son's lives. Been a difficult road at times. Been frustrating not having the voice to express myself in song. That's where the depths of my heart were left in the cold.

In looking at the trees, anticipating their renewed vigor just waiting to burst forth from the branches, I got to thinking about my own life.

The trees may appear dead and decaying in winter, but they aren't dead merely dormant. Life still courses in their veins and is only waiting the end of the dormancy to burst forth with a reflection of new life.

I guess my life has at times felt in the winter. My life has lain dormant for many years not only a season. But just like those trees, life is still coursing through my veins waiting to burst forth.

So I wrote the song tonight. Felt good to write something - anything - again. Felt good to think about music again. Felt great to get out in the amazing sunshine today.

Yes sir-ee-bob! It's been a marvelous day.

No comments: