Friday, March 13, 2009

A Treasure Hunt

For movie night tonight we watched Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

You know, I just love those treasure hunting, map following, X-marks-the-spot kind of shows. The whole Indiana Jones and National Treasure series are completely up my alley. There's treasure hunting in my blood.

It reminds me of when I was a little girl. My sisters and I would create these treasure hunting scenarios around our home for each other. We'd start off with a clue that led to a clue that led to a clue...you get the picture.

Then at the end there would always be a delicious little "treasure" to satisfy the sweet-tooth after all that brain work. Maybe there'd even be a glass of milk or a soda to wash it all down.

That was always part of the fun too - using one's brain to make sense of the mysteries and riddles along each step of the way. We could blow an entire day or weekend creating quest after quest. Felt like a veritable Nancy Drew or Jacque Cousteau.

Too I used to watch those old treasure hunting diving type shows. Love Clive Cussler novels like the first one I read, appropriately named "Treasure".

At one time I thought about going into archaeology as my life's work. I still love dirt and dead things but found out that the hot, sweaty, dirty work wasn't really my first love.

Still I can't help but watch these silly movies, TV shows, and dream about the days of my own treasure hunting with my sisters. The memories will always be sweet.

I feel the need for a piece of chocolate cake and milk.

2 comments:

Pamela J Pierce, RDN, LD said...

Denise,
Not a treasure movie, but we bought Australia over the weekend. It is a good movie to add to your list. The scenery alone was wonderful. It's sad it got bad reviews but I never trust hollywood's advise on a movie anyway.

Denise said...

Me neither! Most of those critics are a bunch of snobs anyway and don't have a clue what the general population enjoys. I'd actually planned to see Australia at the theatre. When it was initially released I was in the full throes of the play but planned to see it soon afterward, but it was here and gone before I could get to the theatre. Was bummed to say the least.